beantwoord

Internet works but no WiFi

• 8 juni 2020
  • 13 reacties
  • 215 keer bekeken

Reputatie 1

My Internet is working but no wifi!

There is absolutely no wifi signal: the name of the network is not visible or recognizable by any of our home devices (Samsung TV, iphone XR, Galaxy A8 phone, macbook pro, Sony Vaio and Lenovo Thinkpad).

I went thrpough the steps oin the link and found the following:

1. connect with network cable: internet works well connected via network cable (the only device I can connect is a 6 year-old Vaio.
  2. I do not have a wifi amplifier.
  3. The network name does not appear on the list of available networks in any of my devices (I have an Experia Box V8, that was given with my subsciption in 2016).
  4. I have checked, unplugged and re-plugged all the cables (power/network) on the modem, and the problem persists.
  5. I unplugged the modem for several minutes, plugged it again, with no success. TV cable works, internet via network cable works, but no wifi. 
  6. I did a reset with the reset button on the back of the modem, but still no wifi.
  7. I entered the configuration and changed “Allowed Client Type” to “WEP”. No difference.
  8. It does not change if I stand 1 meter away from the modem

Last week, the same thing happened and I spent a whole day reseting and chacking cables over and over. Later, the WIFI randomly started working.

Now, it is happenning again and I have no wifi, only internet via network cable, after repeating all the steps. Very frustrating.

Can you help?

Admin: created your own topic for your question

icon

Beste antwoord door Alexandra - Telfort 1 juli 2020, 10:26

Hi @Alvaro, so it's doable but it isn't solved. If you want to, I can send a new modem your way, so we can replace your current one. I'm guessing that the WiFi part of your modem isn't doing so well anymore. If you want me to do this, let me know :slight_smile:

Bekijk reactie

13 reacties

Reputatie 8
Badge +11

Hi @Alvaro, welcome to our forum! It's very busy at the moment, this is why my response in your topic isn't as fast as we usually want to react. I'm sorry about this.

Your internetconnection is working, but only via a cable. Your WiFi connection isn't working at all, despite all your effort to solve it. How's the situation right now, are you still experiencing the same or did you find a solution? And did you hold the reset-button until the lights of the modem went off? 

Reputatie 1

Hello Alexandra,

No problem, I understand the busy times!

After almost a full day and many “hard resets” (holding the reset button untill all lights of the modem went off) the wifi signal finally came back (and is up now). However, this has happened a lot lately, once every 1 or 2 weeks, and can easily last for hours.

Is is normal to have these interruptions so frequently, and that every time it takes a few hours until it can be fixed?

Thank you.

Alvaro

Reputatie 8
Badge +11

Hi @Alvaro, thank you! 

I'm glad to hear that you were able to fix it at the end of the day, through the many resets. To answer your question, no. Of course, the WiFi connection is wireless and therefor more sensitive for disturbances and less reliable, when you compare it to a connection with an internetcable. But you shouldn't have to reset the modem each week, because the complete signal disappears, to solve these kinds of problems. 

Did the problem reoccur after you resetted the modem and finally solved it? Or has it been OK since? 

Reputatie 1

Hi Alexandra, 

Thanks.

Since then, I have had to reset it once (and the signal came back immediately). Today the signal appears to be very weak (some devices need to be closer than normal to the modem to get proper signal). But nothing terrible.

Alvaro

Reputatie 8
Badge +11

Hi @Alvaro, that doesn't sound too bad, I'm glad to hear it. Otherwise, if you have to reset again or if you're experiencing other weird issues, you know where to find me. If you let me know, I'll help you with it and do no hesitate to let me know if you've got any questions. 

Reputatie 1

So, 

If this happens and I have to spend a day without wifi again, we will exchange messages over a week until the problem is fixed?

How many times do we do this again until there is a permanent solution? 

Thanks,

Alvaro

Reputatie 8
Badge +11

Goodmorning @Alvaro, that's not necessary. If it happens again, you can let me know right here in your topic. Most of the time, I'm able to help you within one or maybe two days, so it won't take so long again :slight_smile: Is your WiFi connection still doing well?

Reputatie 1

Hi Alexandra, 

Thank you.

I have had wifi available most of the time (or able to recover it with a quick reset). Sometimes the signal appears to be weak but it works nevertheless.

Best,

Alvaro

Reputatie 8
Badge +11

Hi @Alvaro, so it's doable but it isn't solved. If you want to, I can send a new modem your way, so we can replace your current one. I'm guessing that the WiFi part of your modem isn't doing so well anymore. If you want me to do this, let me know :slight_smile:

Reputatie 1

Hi Alexandra,

If you can do that, that would be great!

Thank you,

Alvaro

Reputatie 8
Badge +11

Goodmorning @Alvaro, sure, no problem at all! I've ordered one for you. You'll receive the new modem as soon as possible, within a few days. When everything's working with the new modem, you can return the old one to us for free via the following address:

Telfort Retouren

Antwoordnummer 10119

2400 VB Alphen aan den Rijn

I expect the connection to be much better with the new modem. Looking forward to reading your response.

Reputatie 1

Hello Alexandra, 

Modem arrived connected and working perfect. It really makes a BIG difference, so there was definitely a modem issue. I post a comparison (connected via wifi) between the old and new box.

I will mail the old modem back. 

Thank you for all,

Alvaro

Reputatie 8
Badge +11

Good morning @Alvaro, wow that is definately a big difference! I'm happy to see this, and glad that we decided to swap the modem :slight_smile:

You're very welcome, and you know where to find us here, in case we can help you with anything.

Reageer