beantwoord

Losing internet connection, wifi seems to work (Experia10A/glass fiber optic)

• 9 september 2020
  • 19 reacties
  • 172 keer bekeken

Reputatie 1

Hello All,

Since the summer break, we are losing the main internet connection increasingly often. The Experia10A box goes to red, and after 30-60 seconds it switches back to green (no other colors in between). Wifi keeps working, but there is no connection to the internet during such an event.

The TV is also losing connection (303 error code) lately, need to switch off & on the unit to get back to watching.

Working from home (telecons and videocons) is really getting hampered by the frequent losses. Earlier we had a very stable connection, also thanks to the glass fiber optic setup.

I have tried to restart/reset the modem, it does not seem to make any difference. The DSL link is down (not sure if this is per design or a symptom).

Any ideas what can be done to stabilize the internet connection?

icon

Beste antwoord door Jasper - Telfort 22 september 2020, 09:37

So the new cable did not bring us anything. The new modem is already on it's way, let's wait and see how that performs after you've received it.

Bekijk reactie

19 reacties

Reputatie 8
Badge +11

Hi @Laszlo2020, Jasper is enjoying his vacay right now, that's why I'm the one who reacts in your topic. I'm very glad to read that your internetconnetion is stable now :slight_smile: Otherwise or if you've got any questions, you know where to find us.

Reputatie 1

Hi @Jasper - Telfort : based on the last 48 hours, we have stable internet connection. :grinning:

I have returned the old model in the packaging yesterday. Thank you for all the help, much appreciated!

Reputatie 8
Badge +11

Hi @Laszlo2020, I'm curious to hear how the connection is performing now :slight_smile: Has it improved?

Reputatie 8
Badge +11

You're welcome @Laszlo2020. I look forward to your findings, I hope the connection stays stable now.

Reputatie 1

I have received the new modem, thank you @Jasper - Telfort for sending it.

It is installed (including the new power plug) already. I will monitor the stability in the coming hours, hoping for the expected improvement.

Reputatie 8
Badge +11

So the new cable did not bring us anything. The new modem is already on it's way, let's wait and see how that performs after you've received it.

Reputatie 1

@Jasper - Telfort : the situation did not improve after replacing the cable. In the evening around 9 the TV also lost connection, this time again bad enough that we got error 303 on the TV receiver (again), so it had to be restarted as well.

Reputatie 1

@Jasper - Telfort : I have replaced now the red cat5 cable with another 5e cable from Telfort, still ~1 m long only, between the Experia Box and the fiber connection box. Fingers crossed.

In the meantime I had another outage at 16:23. :grimacing:

Reputatie 8
Badge +11

Hmm, so the connection remains unstable. I’ve checked it again and the fiber connection box kept the connection, but the Experia Box lost it. That means there are a few options that could play a part in this: the cable between both devices, the Experia Box or the port on the fiber connection box. 

As I recall, you haven't tried another cable there idd you? You can use the one that is used for the tv, purely for testing, to see if the connection is more stable that way. Aside from that, I'll also send you a new modem so we can rule out both options at the same time. You'll receive the new modem within a few days. You can return the current one to us.

Reputatie 1

Another lost connection at 13:29 today… :sweat:

Reputatie 1

@Jasper - Telfort: The connection dropped again at 11:45, perhaps you can see it in the internal logs. I am very curious to understand what the underlying cause is of these interruptions. Hopefully not faulty hardware, but a simple setting or so…

Reputatie 1

Hi @Laszlo2020, what was the result of resetting die fiber box? Did that do anyting to the connection?

Hi @Jasper - Telfort : unfortunately, I still have dropped connections, many times a day. The modem goes red and after approx. 30 seconds it reestablishes the connection and jumps back to green. The wifi stays on in the mean time, only the internet connection is gone.

Is there a way to extract from the Experia logs what could cause this behavior?

Reputatie 8
Badge +11

Hi @Laszlo2020, what was the result of resetting die fiber box? Did that do anyting to the connection?

Reputatie 1

Hi @Jasper - Telfort,

I have not reset the glass fiber box yet, but I will do now.

Fingers crossed...

Reputatie 8
Badge +11

The reset is visible now, that is good. Did you also have the fiber connection box powerless for 2 minutes? That could help too. Let's see how the connection performs after this, depending on the results we'll decide what to do. If there is any action required :slight_smile:

Reputatie 1

Hi @Jasper - Telfort,

Thank you for checking the connection.

The Experia V10a has the same short (red) Cat5 cable connecting to the glass fiber box, as it was provided with when we got the box. I have not changed any of the cables in or out of the modem, in the last few years, as everything was working fine and we had a rock solid connection...

I have performed today a reboot and a ‘paperclip’ reset as well. Curious to see if this makes any difference now: it did not in the past few weeks. The DSL link is still down according to the admin page, not sure if this is important.

What can I do if there is no change in the stability of the connection?

Reputatie 8
Badge +11

Hi @Laszlo2020, welcome to our forums. When it is busy, as it is lately, we can't reply to topics as quick as we would like. But as you see, we'll always reply. The fiber optics connection box seems to keep the connection, it has been connected for over 19 days now. If the connection drops, it seems to occur after that. Have you replaced the short cable that goes to the Experia Box?

Also, you say you've resetted the modem. How did you do that? Was that by restarting it, or did you use a paperclip in the small reset hole? The last option hasn't been done in the last month, that might help too.

Reputatie 1

Hello All, I would like to get some help as the situation is getting worse: now the internet is lost more than once per hour… It is getting impossible to work from home.

Can the moderators please check our connection?

PS: the modem is connected with a short cable, resetting does not seem to help.

Reputatie 1

It would be great to get a reaction and, at least, a confirmation from the helpdesk on the situation.

Can you please let me know when will this happen?

Reageer